How to DIY a Brand-Building Website
You need an amazing website that’s mobile-friendly, offers a superior customer experience, drives traffic to conversion, and contains valuable content? Developing a beautifully branded website is one of the most important things you can do, to ensure your customers are motivated to buy your products.
Building a website that grows your brand is not as easy as putting up some cool pictures on a service like Squarespace or Wix. A website takes careful design and continuous effort if you want to reach your goals.
Why you need to craft a great website
First Impressions Matter.
People form opinions about your business based on your website because it’s usually the first interaction a potential new customer will have with your business. Creating the best possible website for your business is something you need to get right, and that’s why you may want to consider hiring a professional web designer who can help you.
A website is more technical than you think
A poorly designed website can kill your reputation. You might be tempted to go it alone; thinking you have the skills necessary to build a great website. That might be true, but a great website is more than just pretty pictures. Most DIY Websites suffer from major issues when it comes to SEO, making you nearly invisible online.
Here’s a sample of the technical skills you need:
- A good understanding of content management systems (CMS), like WordPress, and templates makes your task much easier.
- Some HTML or CSS, coding just in case you want to tweak your theme template.
- Technical knowledge to link your website domain to your hosting
- Knowing the right plugins to use. Plugins provide additional functionality to your website but may require a little knowledge to set up accurately.
- Images, videos, and infographics make your website attractive. However, using shared or unlicensed images can damage, or even cost your business serious fines
- You also need skills in creating content. SEO matters and if you don’t know how to write optimized copy you’ll need to hire someone with the chops.
Content informs and motivates prospective customers
Your website must work to keep people interested in your company and what it offers. Developing the right content for the right stage of your funnel is a key element of your success. See the image below for an example of how to match content to various stages in the funnel.
Considerations as you build a great website
Getting to the top of search results requires driving more traffic to your website. Building your rank is based on a complex algorithm that changes constantly.
The Google algorithm is never been published; however, experts have developed a guide through trial and error to following to improve your rank:
- Headlines and headings include your keyword
- The keyword-optimized matches user intent
- Images alt text includes your keyword
- Backlinks from other reputable, related websites
- Your meta description that matches your keyword
- Including links to authoritative online sources
- A domain name related to your content
Other elements you consider to build your own website.
- A website is a subscription form.
- Design your website with consumer use in mind. Make sure your website is easy to navigate and find what your customer is looking for.
- Make sure the site is mobile-friendly. Google’s algorithm penalizes websites that are not.
- Keep your website light. Google penalizes site that websites that load slowly.
Following these guidelines are essential for helping you to make your business successful in the digital world. If you need help you can always call The Graphics Guy at (732) 513-6807.