What SEO Tactics To Avoid In 2015:
Google’s Penguin algorithm change from April 2012 was targeted at decreasing search engine rankings of websites that violate Google’s Webmaster Guidelines by blocking “now-declared black hat SEO techniques” that artificially increase a webpage’s rankings through link manipulation. This means you’ll want to make sure you avoid the following:
– Spammy Backlinks: Delete inbound links from low-quality websites and link farms.
– Exact Match Anchor Text: If your website is “WestLongBranchPainting.com,” do not use “West Long Branch Painting” multiple times as the anchor text link.
– Optimized Anchor Text: Do not use the same anchor over and over. Try to use different anchor texts for every link and include naked URLs as anchor text links as well. It is also smart to use generic anchor text like “here” and “website” in order to avoid over-optimization.
– Paid Links: Overly sponsored links that are on Google’s radar are now punished.
– Irrelevant Links: A West Long Branch NJ painting company would not want a link on a pet food site linking back to them, as this makes no sense and triggers a red flag.